a knitter navigates through life

Monday, September 17, 2007

the truth about cats and dogs

I was thinking the other day (it hurt, but I persevered), and I thought of a good analogy for my current no-interest-in-dating situation. I don't want a boyfriend for pretty much the exact same reasons that I don't want a dog. I love dogs. Dogs are great. I'd like to have a dog again someday. But right now, I don't have the time or the space in my life for one. My situation just isn't compatible with having a dog. I like being free to come and go when I choose without having to worry about someone else's schedule, to be able to wander around a craft fair after work or hang out with knitters all night without having to rush home to take care of the dog. I like not having to feed and groom and clean up after a dog, to not have to worry about paying for vet visits or what to do if I have to go out of town. I get the whole bed to sprawl on at night, and I'm on no one's schedule but my own. (And work's. They seem to like it when I show up when they want me to.)
Cats are more like female friends. They give you love and affection, but for the most part, they take care of themselves. They're clean and tidy and if you have to neglect them for a few days, their world doesn't fall apart. Also, if you have to leave them alone, they don't trash the place. Dogs will not only poop on the floor; they will track it all over the house. I'm sure anyone who's left their guy home alone for a week can see the comparison.

1 comment:

Debbie D said...

OH MY GAWD! You are sooooooooo dead on right about guys and dogs.

Honestly boyfriends can be great and they also can be a great pain in the arse!