a knitter navigates through life

Friday, September 28, 2007

I may be taking this knitting thing a little too far . . .

A few incidents in the last two days have made me begin to realize that I am teetering on the precipice of what the Yarn Harlot calls "knitting so much that it is a personality trait". Yesterday, on my way out to go to the mall, I ran back to the house for my knitting bag, even though my rational mind could not come up with any reason why I would possibly have time to knit. So my irrational mind took over, spinning disaster scenarios of horrible traffic (for a ten-minute trip), natural disasters, or a hostage situation. I mean, what if I was taken hostage? I'd be the only cowering victim with something to take my mind off my impending doom, right?
Then this morning, a coworker was relating a story in which she was describing me to a friend. Her description went, "Long hair, skinny, knits a lot . . . " You know the knitting is getting extreme when someone is describing you to a complete stranger, and the first thing she says after the physical description isn't something like "really sweet" or "funny" or "talks all the time" or "obsessive-compulsive", but "knits a lot".
So basically, if you want to find me in a crowd, look for the skinny long-haired girl who's knitting. That'll be me.

Squares #24, 23, and 22


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"So basically, if you want to find me in a crowd, look for the skinny long-haired girl who's knitting. That'll be me."

er, um, that IS how I found you when I met you.


snicker, snicker.


You know when I don't take my knitting with me, I always seem to need it to pass the time away. Think about how long it might take to get rung up. You could whip out a few rows.

Megan: Dyer, Spinner and Weaver said...

You are in good company, girlie.