a knitter navigates through life

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Just in case you doubted that I'm crazy . . .

The dancing flames socks were finished, bound off, and photographed in the wild at the Yarn Harlot. (Many thanks to Gotta Knit for these pics.)


(Aside: I love this picture. I look so demure with my crossed ankles, don't I? The first and last time in my life, I'm sure.)

They look pretty finished, right? . . . . Or are they?


Imagine the shock and dismay when I appeared at the next knit gathering, working on the same damn socks. I wasn't happy with them. In my eagerness to widen them to accommodate my calves, I went a little overboard. Also, the 1x1 twisted rib that I used for the cuff was not nearly stretchy enough. So, I did what any sensible crazy person would do, and ripped them back one and a half repeats, picked up the lace pattern (by now, I could do this one while anesthetized) . . .

and reknit. I changed the ribbing to a nice 2x2 rib and I left the sock circumference at 80 stitches, instead of 88.

Crazy? Yes. But I'm so much happier with the fit now.

The Mad Crocheter said to me, "Kim, you're a sock perfectionist." No, darlin', I'm an everything perfectionist. Socks are just the only medium in which this level of perfectionism is practical, much less achievable.

4 comments:

Hockey Mom said...

Your socks are gorgeous! ALMOST makes me want to do a pair of knee socks. Almost. I don't know I have the patience to take a pair of socks to that level. I get frustrated and want them NOW NOW NOW.

And the color? It is awesome.

Debbie D said...

Oh how I hate to say this but you were right to redo them.

Megan: Dyer, Spinner and Weaver said...

I'm a big fan of re-doing my knitting. You are always so much happier with the finished product. That's why I don't knit for other people -- they always get impatient waiting for my gift!

Megan: Dyer, Spinner and Weaver said...

Hey, I just realized my foot made your blog! My foot is famous!

Course, my foot is covered by a store-bought sock. Not a fancy knee-high flame sock. It's a beautiful sock, especially now that it is flawless!!!