a knitter navigates through life

Sunday, January 18, 2009

too bad I don't have extra-large armpits

The last two days have totally redefined my definition of cold. There's nothing like making deliveries for an hour at 7 AM when the temperature, without windchill, is 13F. When I looked at the weather forecast yesterday, my reaction was, "Wow! Overnight low in the 30's?! Sweet!!" Which would have sounded crazy to me only a week ago.
The weather today has been beautiful, in the 40's (practically balmy!), bright and sunny, with a gentle breeze and soft blue sky. It's almost as if the weather is apologizing for the misery it inflicted on us.
And let me tell you, it's a good thing too, because I am having Sweater Issues, or, more accurately, Being Incapable of Counting Issues. I brought my Brookside Sweater out of hibernation to finish it up before the cold weather ends. (That was why it went into hibernation in the first place. I just couldn't face finishing a brown sweater in May.) I'd finished the body and sleeves up to the point of joining them and doing the raglan decreases. Quick and easy, right? Wrong. The first time, I was only doing half the decreases I should have been; but with a quick trip to the frog pond, I was back on my way. This time, I inexplicably seemed to forget about the second decrease point. I was decreasing at points 1, 3 and 4, but not 2. Is it weird that my first thought was, "I could make this work if only I had extra-large armpits"?

2 comments:

Debbie D said...

You really don't want extra large armpits. We'd all make fun of you.

kat said...

You're hilarious.

I'm sorry I didn't make it to your housewarming party. I still have a gift I'd like to give you (guess what it is) and wanna see the domicile!